Recently, a friend was talking about his retirement plan at
the age before fifty and he had some goals to meet with the money accumulated.
His goals were typical like buying a weekend home, daughter education and
marriage, buy a new upper class car and foreign tour once every three years. He
was just getting a third opinion from me since he and his wife had reached the
consensus that they had enough money already in kitty. So, we discussed some
risks and unforeseen events etcetera and signed off. At the end, he mentioned
hesitantly to us that he also wanted a complete peace of mind and hoped to get
it with meditation and confidence of financial planning. I wished him best and
parted ways.
Yes, this is something what money can buy. If you have some
more money, you can buy even a personal small jet. As one of my friends put it,
money can buy anything and everything – from machines at home to top ranking
officers in government offices and from best education for kids to most exotic
vacations on the earth. Everything can be bought because everything has been
monetized. Buying property is a very basic thing what money can buy. Someone
looks for a 45th floor apartment in a high rise near sea in Mumbai,
someone yearns for a villa up in a hill station, someone finds ultimate
pleasure in owning a sprawling farm with a farmhouse. All done.
When I think about myself, I surprisingly find that I don’t
need nothing like this from my money. I have enough money to buy some property
somewhere, and to be frank, that was my goal as well up to 5 years ago. Now
that I have enough money, I don’t find it a dream worth chasing. Why? I analysed
myself. Then a very old image popped up in my mind. This image was based on a
real picture I had seen in my late childhood days some thirty five years ago.
I see a vast canvas of sprawling nature from a bird’s eye
view as I sat atop a hillock near a village. I see plane land with various ornaments
surrounded by tame mountains here and there under the large hood of clear blue
sky. The land comprising primarily of farmland with shades of green and yellow crop,
with patches of baron cattle grass, wild vegetation and of course, the nice
beautiful village in the middle. The village having the only temple at the
centre with a waving saffron flag atop and the small dwellings huddled around
it. The village boundaries lined randomly with a few large trees swinging
lightly in their own mood. A tiny river flowing curvaceously at a respectable
distance from the village with no activity on its bluish clear water. The
fields around the village dotted with herds of cattle grazing leisurely. A
complete black field under the cover of black and white sheep with shepherd
underneath a tree on the boundary. Slight strings of smoke twirling up from the
houses and some fields. Some mountains showing quite a detail on them being
nearby while some faraway showing just the outline and greyish skin keeping the
rest of details for guessing. A complete baron land as the background
everywhere else showing pure abundance of earth. Just to compete with the
abundance boasted above by the blue sky. The sky with a few white clouds hanging
here and there lazying and some kites circling slowly.
This is not a poetic presentation of an imaginary picture,
as I said earlier I actually witnessed it. It was a summer vacation leisure
trip to countryside relatives in Ichalkaranji, district Kolhapur and this one a
special part of it to a rarely visited relative in a village called Tardaal. I
was with my cousins from that locale who were telling me hearsay about some
dacoits who roamed in one of the mountains. This picture emerged from the
bottom of my mind today and I wished if I could get to live rest of my life
there – in that picture. I would like to have a small two rooms plus backyard,
front porch house towards the outer edge of the village so that I can just put
an easy chair in veranda and watch the vast canvas forever.
How much would it cost? No way money can buy this even
though it looks dirt cheap in front of other ‘properties’ wished by folks. For,
the village houses have been converted into concrete pucca houses, approach
roads made of tar with quite a traffic of buses and tum tums plying. The old
style temple has been ‘renovated’ with colourful concrete structure double the
size and height of the original one with glossy metallic tridents atop. The fields
around the village have been either converted into non-agricultural plots or
monotonously bearing a single crop of sugarcane. The river has almost vanished
and the cattle are grazing inside closed stables.
This simple picture is something money can’t buy for me. I
can’t complain that things have changed so much, because I admit even I have
changed so much – I never thought of buying that picture thirty five years ago
when it got embossed on my mind as I didn’t know buying with money then.

With each blog, you are becoming better and better. Probably even you are surprised with the latent talent in you. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Krishna. Yes, I am pleasantly surprised everytime a creator in me renders something that I can route through keystrokes in a blog. It's a pleasure of expression, plus being free from normal rut which allows this creativity. And mostly, the encouraging comments from well wishers like you.
DeleteNostalgia eh??
ReplyDeleteIs it pure nostalgia? Then you missed the power in my last sentence. Read again...
DeleteYou said it Makarand. We are all on a journey and in that journey, when we stop (I am not sure if we ever stop...) but whenever I stop, this thought comes like a flash... It's re-currency has increased. More importantly, I start thinking about, which such "property" would my son would want to buy. What keeps troubling me are two things - How is he thinking about such things and second and most important, what "changed world" are we leaving behind for him. Mohan Bharatia
ReplyDeleteSurely you knew buying with money then too. Only thing what you wanted to buy then or rather what you felt like worth buying then you own now.
ReplyDelete